Saturday, October 5, 2013

Get your Stalk & Barrel Here!!! - Cask 5, 8 and more!

I was honored to be a panelist for Forty Creek Whisky Weekend that took place on September 28 & 29th.  Graham and I went up a a few days earlier which gave us the opportunity to visit with some friends as well as stop in to Stillwaters to see what Barry & Barry were up to next.  I'm beyond thankful we did because we were treated to great conversation and even better whisky.  We were fortunate enough to get to try Cask 5, Cask 8 and a bit of a surprise.

Cask 5 will be bottled at 60.3%, yet another cask strength release.  I have to say I've been fortunate enough to try Cask 1, 2, 3 and now 5 & 8.  Of the three cask strength releases, #5 is my favorite.

Nose:  Rum raisin ice cream:  Creamy, juicy golden sultanas!  Reminds me of a New Orleans Bread Pudding my husband and I make.  Delicious vanilla custard. Very rich.  I would almost say seductive.  It really draws you in!

Palate:  There is a peppery sweetness about this that is superb.  Hot tamales from my childhood.  Sweet cinnamon! Then the rest of the spices hit:  Cloves, ginger and a bit of white grapefruit in the corners.

The finish:  LOOOOONG!  Warm and with a bit of fresh sawdust on the exhale.  

Empty glass:  Sweet caramel, milk chocolate.  Rich toffee.

This is by far the best cask I've tried yet at this distillery and I told him so on the spot!  "When is this available"? I asked.  It's not... well at least not in Canada. My shoulders slumped, my hopes dashed (I"m out of cask 2 already!?) None of it is staying in Canada, I repeated!  "I'm afraid not", Barry replied. Where is it going I said enjoying the last drops in my glass. "USA".  USA?!  Where, who, how, when?  Barry laughed...  

So for those of you looking to try a really great Canadian Single Malt Whisky that will be bottled and available at cask strength keep your eyes peeled this month.  This fabulous whisky will be available in limited release to the following states:  ILLINOIS, MASSACHUSETTS, MINNESOTA, PENNSYLVANIA and WASHINGTON.

If you are lucky enough to be going to Jewbilee in New York City, some very lucky people will get to try Cask 5 Stalk & Barrel whisky from Stillwaters.  DON'T MISS OUT on the opportunity!  

Cask 8 will be available in Canada this Sunday, October 6th at the distillery.  It's bottled at 46%. Sorry, I didn't take notes, I simply enjoyed drinking it and would have taken some home had it been bottled and ready.

The surprise we tasted:  I asked he pour it blind, which he did.  I took my time and sat down to nose it.  Barry seemed to be bursting at the seams with this one and quite excited. Again, I can see why.  Quietly, I nosed/tasted the whisky as all of us enjoyed this lovely pour.  My initial thoughts:

Nose:  Fresh marshmallow root, powdered sugar and marzipan.  Beautiful light aroma of almond oil, with slight woody spicy in the background:  Sandalwood?  

Palate: Green apples (a bit of sour in the corners), wine gummies and beautiful mouth watering fullness!

Finish:  A bit hot, candied ginger peel. Not overly long but quite enjoyable.  It has spunk!

The reveal:  Their 95% rye that's still ageing.  It's only 1 1/2 years old!   WOW....  This is not at all what I had expected.  If this keeps ageing as well as it currently is, I highly expect this will be a lovely well balanced rye.  Probably one of the best on the Canadian market.  KEEP YOUR EYES AND EARS OPEN for this one in a couple of years!!!

So all in all, our distillery visit was not only fantastic but as always we were treated to great hospitality, great conversation and delicious whiskies.  

If you live in Canada and have a chance to get these whiskies, please do.  Not only are you supporting "local" but you are buying a very good Single Malt Whisky.  If you live in the USA and can get your hands on a cask 5 bottling, DO.  If you try this whisky and don't like it, I will BUY it from you!  Not kidding...
I will buy it.



Thanks Barry & Barry for yet another great whisky on the market.  I for one can't wait to see what happens next at your distillery.

Lassie




No comments:

Post a Comment