Monday, December 26, 2016

Lassie's top 12 countdown of 2016 - The anchor, #12 LET'S START BIG!

Years ago I started keeping track of how many different whiskies I tried over the course of a year. From January 1 - December 31st, I take a photo of every single new whisky discovery. In 2015, I broke my all time record and had tried over 400 new drams. I will wait to reveal how many the Lassie had this year ;)

In the meantime, let's revisit the top 12 drams for me this year. Each of course has a story, a reason, a season or a rhyme. Or... something like that!? The point of the matter is, each one has a special place in my heart for a variety of reasons. You ready?  HERE.....  WE......  GOOOOOOOOOO! It's only befitting that we go all the way back to January 1 2016 for dram #12. Our friends Krista & Ross Galbraith invited us to their annual New Years Day event - Outing at Tin Can Beach. Now for those of you are not from anywhere near Saint John New Brunswick, Tin Can Beach is a little gem in the south end of the city that overlooks the mouth of our harbour and the bay of Fundy. 

Tin can beach crew of 2016
There we were: Krista & Ross, Susan & Michael, Robin & Michael, Lori & Steve, me and Graham. It's a cold but sunny day and we've all brought whiskies to share. I made sure to pack one small but very important dram because someone gave it to me with the caveat that it would be opened and shared before my 50th birthday. I kept my promise and shared with this lovely group of friends, of which a few had already joined the 50's club, and some who still had not.  :)

The great part of that day was simply welcoming 2016 as best we knew how: Among friends, in the great outdoor, admiring the beauty of our own city and toasting what was yet to come. Thank you to Davin de Kergommeaux for the dram in question:


Gordon & MacPhail Glen Grant 50 year old, distilled in 1948, bottled in 1998. 40% ABV. 

The dram was poured in two Glencairns and they were passed around so that everyone could get a taste. Did I take notes -> Nope. Do I remember what it tasted like -> Mostly. I know I enjoyed it. The reality is that I enjoyed the moment and the fact that we all got to try it. After we were done dramming and spending time on the beach that lovely first day of 2016, we were all invited back to Krista & Ross' for a great spread of food. 

I realized a few things that day. One: Surround yourself with good people. Two: Share your whiskies with those who will appreciate it as much as you do. and Three: The importance of traditions. It was a memorable day and the perfect way to start 2016.

Thank you to Davin, the Galbraith's and everyone else who made that day possible. 

Cheers,

Lassie




No comments:

Post a Comment