Friday, December 2, 2016

Secret Spirits - Whisky Advent Calendar, Day 2!!!

The 6:15am alarm went off but I wasn't ready to face the day so I pulled the blanket up as far as I could. When consciousness finally bubbled to the surface of my hypothalamus, my eyes shot open and I threw off the blankets. "IT'S DAY 2!" I shouted as I sprung out of the bed and fumbled for my socks in the dark. As I lurched clumsily down the hall way, I banged my elbow and totally misjudged getting around the corner into the kitchen, which of course caused me to stub my left foot. So now, you can picture a swearing half asleep Lassie making her way to the whisky room as she wakes up the whole household. I arrive, a little worse for the wear, but smiling none the less. I'm starting to think we should have advent calendars that are 365 days long. This is INCENTIVE to get out of bed every day!!

Today I decide I'm going to pull out the whisky glass that came with the advent calendar. I've never used this one before. It is called the Neat glass. Should be an interesting experiment in nosing/tasting this whisky. I stare at number 2 and poke my finger through it. Reaching in, it's difficult not to feel completely excited. This does really bring back memories of my childhood when I was allowed to eat the advent chocolate first thing before breakfast. I wonder for a moment if I should do the same thing I did yesterday and keep my eyes closed however I simply can't. The little bottle comes out and as I bring it up to the light so I can see what it is, it falls out of hand, bounces onto the carpet and rolls under piano!

If you've read my silly adventures in the past you know this is par for the course in Lassie's world!?! Down on my hands and knees I drop and push my arm as far as it will go into the black abyss. I feel around for what feels like a few minutes and finally find the bottle. I pull it out to see that it's a small sample of rum!? Slightly confused, I realize it's one of Graham's bottles. I hesitate but then decide it's best I go and get a broom. Have you ever tried fishing with a broom? I might as well have tried eating oatmeal with chopsticks!? Exasperated, I go and grab a flashlight. By then of course the dog and the cat are now sitting in the whisky room and watching intently, likely thinking their "human" had lost something quite valuable under the piano. Back down on the carpet I go and the well light underbelly reveals.... Nothing!? Even more perplexed I get back up and now I'm circling the piano wondering where the hell door 2 whisky has gone.

Graham is now in the room. I'm assuming he's heard me muttering to myself as I continue walking around the room looking for the sample bottle. "What happened?", he asks as he hands me a hot cup of coffee. "Dropped day 2", I reply looking over by the bookcase. Graham walks over to the big arm chair and picks it up off the floor. I hadn't seen it roll in that direction at all. "Oh", he says smiling. "You are going to really like this one". I walk over and put my hand out. "A kiss" he demands. "Seriously!", I state as I push my hand forward. "Seriously", he says grinning like a mad man. So I put the coffee down and he wraps me in his arms. Payment made, I bound up the stairs and sit in my big armchair.


I finally look at day 2 whisky and discover, to my utmost delight that it's from one of my favourite independent bottlers - Wemyss Malts (Pronounced Weems). Craigellachie 13, distilled 2002, aged in ex-sherry butt. I am so tempted to pour just a little in the neat glass but I hold off. (This is going to be a challenge, every day). So I unscrew the cap and take in the aromas as best I can. It's slightly meaty, and sort of reminds me of a Mortlach. I'm intrigued to say the least because I love that distillery. So, I dip my finger in it lightly and bring it to my mouth. Also lovely, a bit of a sour note to it. Sort of like burnt coffee grounds. The name, fits it well I think, at this point anyway.

Later on, after I come home from what seemed like a very hard day at work, I immediately grab the sample and pour myself a healthy dram. I plop myself down into the armchair and proceed to stick my nose into the neat glass. But of course, the door bell rings so I put the dram down and go answer the door. Once done there, back to the chair but the phone rings. I'm starting to think I will never get to sample this dram!? Ok, done... sorted. I don't care if the house catches fire, I'm SAMPLING this dram!!!

Barrista's Dram, 46% ABV

Nose: Again, it's quite a meaty dram. Slightly pungent on the nose. It is almost a polar opposite to yesterday's dram. There is a bit of bicycle tire or maybe more like new car leather seats smell. I can't help but wonder what I would get in the Glencairn so I pour a bit in one of those too. There is a fruity smell attached to the dram in the Glencairn which doesn't seem to exist in the Neat? I can clearly pick out apples, or more likely fresh applesauce.

Palate: Is this ever "thick"... This is like the Guinness of whiskies, or almost like eating chewy steel cut oatmeal with apple slices in it. There is just a hint of sweet with a hint of ginger spice.

Finish: I liked the way this whisky leaves a taste of ground up roasted nuts. It has a bit of a "burnt" toast, that dark over cooked crunchy stuff. 

I can see why the people at Wemyss called this one the Barrista's Dram.  It's a thick, tasty whisky with a slightly "burnt or roasted" finish.  This is a fabulous whisky. If it is still available on the market, I may just look for it as a gift to myself. 

Well, dram #2 did not disappoint, but I have to say that is probably the hardest I have ever worked to finally get to enjoy a whisky!  It was truly worth the wait. So, if you'll excuse me I'm going to put my feet up and enjoy the rest of this lovely whisky.


Cheers and see you tomorrow for dram #3.


Lassie  

1 comment:

  1. The magical Secret Spirits Day 2 whisky: Rolls under the piano, transforms into rum and then re-materialized under the chair.

    ReplyDelete