Thursday, January 12, 2017
That's the last of 2016, I swear - Runner ups!
With 397 whiskies to choose from there are bound to be some that I initially say: Oh yeah - top 12 indeed but then as the year rolls on they get bumped by others. When I created my list this year, I noticed two things:
1. There wasn't one single American whiskey that even made the top 30!? As I surfed my photos it made me wonder. Is it because, here in Canada we don't really get to try many new/interesting USA whiskies or is it because I simply gravitate toward other whiskies in general. Hmmm... Goal for 2017: Try more American brands.
2. As I went through the spreadsheet it became very apparent that the whiskies I did seem to gravitate toward in 2016 were independent bottlings. Again, it made me ponder: Was I naturally inclined toward those or did I somehow have more access than usual to these types of whiskies?
If you look at my list of honorable mentions you'll see for yourself. Here are whiskies number 30-13.
30. SMWS 59.49 - Celebration in a glass (Thanks Ross)
29. SMWS 1.196 - Sunshine, motherhood and apple pie (Thanks Blair & Clare)
28. Canadian Club 20 year old (Celebrate Whisky festival Halifax)
27. Douglas Laing Rock Oyster (Celebrate Whisky Festival Halifax)
26. Deerstalker Braeval 20 year old (Celebrate Whisky Festival Halifax)
25. SMWS 9.84 Playing "Sea battle" in the garden (Club whisky tasting)
17. Two Brewers Yukon Single Malt, Release 2 (Thanks Lydia!)
Here's to 2017... may the list of new whisky discoveries, friendships and adventures be long and good for all of you!